Tuesday 25 November 2014

Say goodbye to Syros

Our final few days on Syros passed in a bit of a blur. On a few afternoons I went out on my own to do a bit of photography – tramping about the hills shooting big landscapes and small flowers. While we've been on the island, the hunting season has been under way – rifle cracks echo around the hills on a fairly regular basis. Apparently, they're shooting the little migratory birds that are stopping off on their way to Africa. On one of my wanders I managed to take some long-distance shots of a hunter decked out in camo gear with his girlfriend, in tracky dacks and a fluoro-pink backpack - following dutifully behind. 









That same afternoon, as I was heading home, I spotted a big, all-too-tempting piece of black rubber lying flat beside the road – the herpetologist in me immediately identified it as a potential snake home. And it was! Curled up underneath was a gorgeous little viper. Of course, I wasn't properly kitted out for photography, but I managed to get a few decent shots. I went back a few days later and turned the rubber over again and it was still there, allowing me to get a much better series of pics.



By now, Johannes was returning the favour to Yannis, helping him to harvest his olives, and I spent a few hours over a couple of days helping out too, which enabled me to get a few nice olive pics (and a collection of tired muscles).


We also had a few social occasions to attend – coffee and cake with a British ex-pat called Sandy, who has a house with a huge terrace and amazing view over Kini and the beach, and a sumptuous lunch with Flora and her landlords (and their dogs and cats...). And we had dinner at the only taverna still open on the beach, where a helpful Greek-speaking Welshman translated for the waitress – the restaurant had a menu in English, but she couldn't back-translate them (we had to order the 'split peas just married' – and very nice it was, too). We chatted to him afterwards and he quickly identified us the Australians looking after Jacky's place.




1 comment:

  1. Hey guys,
    Great blog and absolutely stunning photos! Was so lovely to meet you all in Puglia. Enjoy the rest of your travels and hope to catch up with you in Sydney when you are back. Our email is chaithraalex@gmail.com. or www.facebook.com/wheelsmongloria.
    Cheers,
    Ashlyn and Josh

    ReplyDelete