Thursday 6 August 2015

In praise of Sarah and Zoe

It was the girls' birthday today, so I thought that this would be an opportune moment to sing the praises of my two darling daughters. When we first started to plan this trip, I was more than a little worried about how the girls would handle things once we left our cosy little Western European world and started to travel around the less salubrious parts of Asia. How would my little English roses cope with 35C+ and 100% humidity? The 'unusual' food, the insects and the spiders and the rats, the distressing sights and nauseating smells, the long rides in poorly maintained buses, the long walks carrying heavy packs. Not to mention the lack of anything approaching a routine, the living in each other's pockets, the tummy bugs, the early starts and insane traffic. Suffice to say, they've handled it all with aplomb. Complaints are rare and orders are usually followed without question. They've both grown and matured along the way, and people we meet often comment on how confident and self-assured they are. They still drive me nuts, but that's as much my fault as theirs. All of which is to say that I'm immensely proud of my two girls, and immensely grateful to them for helping to make our crazy journey so enjoyable.


No comments:

Post a Comment