Tuesday 23 December 2014

Day 71: Can you dig it?

It was another beautiful day today, so we headed out for another hike in the hills. The woodlands that cloak the slopes are a mixture of conifers and deciduous trees, the latter dominated by oaks. As I mentioned earlier, there's lots of evidence of wild boar, and in one oak woodland, we found even more. Large expanses of the ground had been completely dug up – to quite a depth. The most likely explanation is that they were searching for truffles, and judging by the amount of earth they had turned over, they must have had quite a feast.






In the afternoon, I went off on my own to take a little photographic tour of the village. Everywhere I looked were houses with 'Vendesi' ('For sale') signs on them - and given half a chance, I would have bought most of them. As the light faded, I walked back to our place dreaming of moving to Roccacasale to restore one of these neglected dwellings to live in and open a restaurant in another.

 









No comments:

Post a Comment