Monday 17 August 2015

Day 296: On yer bike

After breakfast at our restaurant across the road, I walked down to the centre and hired a mountain bike. I was desperate to get back out into the rainforest somehow and this seemed like my best option. There's a large satellite map of the local area in the visitor centre and it looked as though I could take the road that we walk down to get to our bungalow to get out into an area with extensive forest cover. This isn't where the centre staff suggest that you ride, but I had been out where they point people on my walk back from the 'trek' and there's no forest left there. 




The road took me out past the village's secondary school and then into some very attractive countryside – mostly melaleuca woodland. As I rode along, I wondered why the centre staff didn't send people out here instead of up the main road towards the other village. And then I got my answer (part one), as I came to a very narrow bridge – just two planks of wood wide. I briefly considered riding over it, but the consequences of failure to stay on the planks were too high, so I carefully pushed the bike across. 



Continuing on, the scenery was even more attractive and again, I wondered why this wasn't the preferred option for bike riders. And then I got my answer (part two), as I reached a spot where the road had been completely washed away. A small creek can just cut straight through where the road had been, leaving a huge, unbridged gap. The only way across was to just walk through the stream, so I picked up the bike and waded in. Unfortunately, the bottom of the stream was very soft, and I was soon up to ankles in mud, and up to my thighs in water, but I made it across and was soon on my way again. And then the road just ended. I stopped and considered my options. I could turn back or I could take one of the little sandy tracks that radiated out from the end of the road. Sandy track it was.





It was pretty hot by now and when I had left the bungalow, I had grabbed a bottle of water without looking too closely at it. Looking at it now, I discovered that it was less than half full. I was already parched, but I was going to have to ration myself if I was going to ride much further, so I just took a couple of sips and rode on. The track took me through more grassy melaleuca woodland and then past a small patch of rainforest and into an extensive melaleuca swamp. I wasn't convinced that I could follow the track through the swamp, so I turned back and investigated the rainforest patch. As soon as I got off the bike, I spotted some movement in the trees ahead – a small, striped mammal was running around the branches of a large tree. Looking closer, I saw a small chipmunk – and then another. I followed them deeper into the forest and then saw more movement in the trees – a flash of orange – and suddenly I was looking at a lovely big squirrel that was looking back at me. It obviously found me just as fascinating as I found it because it ran over and down a liana and sat staring at me for some time. It was soon joined by another that also came down to check me out, and then they both scampered off.







This was only a small patch of forest, so I hopped back on the bike and backtracked to the end of the road, and then chose another sandy track to follow. This one took me into a big grassy area where cattle were grazing. I rode on and then, finally, I came over a slight rise and saw what I had been looking for – a seemingly impenetrable dark green wall rising from the pasture ahead. And impenetrable it was – the regrowth at the edge of the forest patch was too think for me to get through, so I rode on a bit further until I found a spot that looked less overgrown. There, I hid the bike in some long grass and stepped beneath the canopy. This forest seemed healthier and I was able to pass more easily between the trees. Without a trail to follow, I was slightly nervous about heading too far in, but thanks to my years in the rainforests of north Queensland, I was able to safely navigate my way in and out a few times in different sections of forest. I didn't really see a great deal though – some birds and fungi and some lovely trees and epiphytes, but no more mammals and not even any lizards. Perhaps my most interesting find was a strange funnel emerging from the trunk of a big tree, which, on closer inspection, turned out to be the entrance/exit of a wasp nest.







 



By now I was getting properly dehydrated – a bit dizzy and a bit headachey – so I turned around and headed back. When I finally made it back to the bungalow Kate had half of our clothes out drying in the sun – as did most of the village (it didn't rain all day – a rarity here at the moment – and there was washing everywhere, even hanging from the net on the volleyball court), while the girls did some school work. I went straight to the room and drank my way through several bottles of water, before heading back into town and dropping of the bike and grabbing some beef-skewer rolls.


When it got to the evening and it still hadn't rained, Kate and I started to get a bit nervous. We're due to get the boat out tomorrow, and after our very moist arrival, we would rather not make the journey back in the pouring rain – so we're hoping that the clouds aren't saving it all up for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment